Monday, May 5, 2008

Interview with Derek Erdman

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I am short and have short person complex. I am fond of junk food, sleeping and meeting new people. I also have favorite clothing that I wear all of the time, like I will find a favorite soft shirt and wear it all of the time. Lately my arms have been moving involuntarily, I think I am developing Tourrette's Syndrome. My teeth are in terrible shape, they are all rotting out of my mouth. I will not go to the dentist because I do not like it there. I hate the taste of flouride rinse and the feeling of metal scrapers. My life's work can be attributed to trying to impress my father who left me at birth.

q) Had you always planned on being an artist [or had you other hopes]?

a)I didn't properly plan in any way for my future, nor am I now. I would like to live near an ocean eventually. I don't think of myself as an artist now, I think of myself more as a huckster.

q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?

a)I like to make paintings with housepaint on wood. All of these things can be bought very cheaply.

q) How would you describe your style?

a)EASY. Something that is easy to do, simple. I try to avoid the complex at all costs.

q) Do you go through any certain processes while trying to produce your work?

a)I like to listen to music. I used to drink red wine or vodka but I don't much anymore. I work on a schedule called 36-12, I stay up for 36 hours and then sleep for 12. During hours 20-30 I get really great ideas. During hours 30-36 I am totally useless.



q) What are you working on at present?

a)I am going to paint things on insulation foam, cut them out and hang them from the ceilings of my house.

q) What about recent sources of inspirations?

a)Which Way Books, Kaspar Hauser, books and films from my childhood. I also like to research old medical books with line illustration, or any reference book really.

q) What are some of your obsessions?

a)Doing the dishes, keeping my home organized. It's dusty but straight. I also love the music group The Fall. In college I was really into Morrissey, I wore big sweaters and wooden beads and stuff.

q) Which galleries have you shown at and which galleries would you like to show at?

a)I haven't really shown in many galleries, I'm not really interested in it. It rarely seems like an inviting atmosphere. I have shown at Unitard in L.A., Yellow Wall Hall, Shooting Gallery SF, Intoxicated Demons in Berlin. I have something currently at the PowerHouse Arena in Brooklyn NY.

q) If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

a)Email = derek.erdman at gmail dot com



q) Do you have any suggestions or advice for artists that are just starting out?

a)Get to work, you can't do something until you do it. I would add to avoid most education and refrain from using your "art" as a social device.

q) Who are your favorite artists?

a)Jason Polan, Amy Casey, Hannah Woodroofe, Tom Tierney, maybe Nick Vandermolen.

q) What books are on your nightstand?

a)I don't read books.



q) To what weaknesses are you most indulgent?

a)Sometimes I am lazy. Also I am also at times selfish and mean to people.

No comments: