Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Interview with Henrietta B Harris

q)What is your name?

a)Henrietta B Harris

q) Where do you live and work?

a)Auckland, New Zealand

q)What is your creative process like?

a)Unreliable & varying

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)Oil Paints

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Puffer fish

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Anything from 5 minutes to a few weeks. Usual length of time would probably be about 6 hours but my latest abstract pieces take days.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)2 relatively successful solo shows in 2 years

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Yes, there are many contemporary artists I love, including Esao Andrews, Thomas Campbell, Mattias Adolfsson, Elliot Collins, Ruban Nielson, Raymond Pettibon, Vic Reeves, Christian Marclay, Oliver Jeffers, Jacob Magraw-Mickelson... many many more.

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)I guess at this point in time email me, that is the best thing to do I should say.

q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)I have thought about this question for a long time and find it impossible to answer. Make up the answer yourself.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Go overseas alone for a period of time

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)My mum, scrapbooking.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)I usually don't, or make up a lie to be honest. 'uh drawings and paintings of really interesting things.'

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?


a)Although I spent three years at art school, the training that I found most beneficial for my own practice was that of my 7th form art teacher and the self taught kind.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)Coffee

q)Who are your influences?

a)The artists listed in the contemporary artist question, Evelyn Waugh, No Age, Chris Morris, Joe Strummer

q)What inspires you to create?

a)I saw that movie 'Elephant' and made a painting the next day inspired by the angle a wall made in the corridor, nothing to do with the storyline. I have also been inspired by plants, buying & experimenting with new materials, small cities made of wood, music.



q)…your contacts…

a)
www.scaredycat.co.nz
henrietta@scaredycat.co.nz

No comments: