Thursday, June 12, 2008

Interview with Callie Hirsch

q)What is your name?

a)Callie Danae Hirsch I am the second child of four and my mother wanted some creativity when she named me.My Grandparents were not so pleased....She found "Callie" from a North Carolina phone book, I was born on an air force base in 1964.My middle name comes from a Greek myth.


q)Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in my studio in Brooklyn. I moved into a loft four years ago and am loving every moment of it.

q)What is your creative process like?

a)I just begin, without any planning.I love attacking a blank canvas, not knowing what will happen,just as surprised as the viewer about what appeared.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)Iridescent acrylic paint on thick, cotton black etch paper!I used to love oils, but they take too long to dry.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Hands down, - nature.
q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)About a week on the 32" x 23" sized pieces.I can only work nights and weekends due to my day job.But that time is shared with my social life and getting out to see art.


q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Being chosen for the "Arts in Transit", NYC MTA subway art series.My station will be at 105th, Beach Station in the Rockaways, NYC.It is such an honor and the work is slated to reside there for the next 100 years.My art pieces will be translated into faceted glass panels.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Yes!A lot of them in fact.Zak Smith, I love his use of octopi, and Candice Smith Corby, and Inka Essenhigh to name a few....

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)Yes, right now I am showing in a gallery in Brooklyn, Metaphor Gallery.
www.metaphorcontemporaryart.com And I have some framed works on paper and oils at ABC Home in NYC, on the second floor. I love the nature that they bring into the store and their wonderful sense of design. http://callieart.com/ABC%20Home.html

q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)I am a loner in denial. Life can be very distracting, it is ok to be alone and do what you love. I need to accept that.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Go to artist residencies and see how other artists work, you automatically rise to the occasion and take yourself more seriously.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)I take a break and come back at it fresh.I never really have artists block. I already have so many distractions in life pulling me in all directions, so when I have time to paint, be it good or going terribly wrong, it is all a puzzle to solve my way out of.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)My work is nature inspired and resonates with Aboriginal dots in a realm of iridescence.
q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your currentlevel of artistry?

a)I would have loved to be an outsider artist, but I did go to school for photography and studio art. I like to think that they taught me how to use the tools, I taught myself how to see my visions and translate them.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)A pen.I love drawing in pen.

q)Who are your influences?

a)Lee Bontecou, Adolf Wolfli, Darren Waterston, and Hundertwasser.One can not help but notice the influences of Kindinsky, Klee and Miro as well.
q)What inspires you to create?

a)Everything, I can not imagine a life without making art.I sit in meetings at my 9-5 job and draw, I come home and paint, I go out and photograph.My life is all about possibilities and the very reality that we can imagine creating fantastical worlds and the creatures that inhabit it.
q)…your contacts…

a)
callie@callieart.com

www.callieart.com/

www.theartvibe.com

No comments: