Thursday, June 3, 2010

Interview with Shannon Crees





q)What is your earliest art-related memory?

a)Painting teapots with my aunt, an artist i look up to.

q) Who has had the greatest influence on your work?

a)My parents who encouraged me to pursue a difficult career and supported me through the really hard bits.

q) What are the main tools of your craft?

a)Computer, van, paint, poska pens, archival ink pens, glue, gloss, hammer, wood, canvas.......

q) Is a formal education important?

a)Education is always important but there are many things that you learn by trial and error on the job.

q) What is the biggest misconception about art?

a)People say 'i cant paint' i think that any one can create art and also enjoy the process.
On the other hand people may devalue a simplistic or abstract work when they are harder to produce than they look.

q) Which is more important in art - concept or execution?

a)They are both important. If you can produce artwork that is strong in both aspects then the sum of the whole becomes greater than the addition of the separate halves.

q) What theme or aesthetic are you most drawn too?

a)Figurative art.

q) What is your favorite piece of art in your home?

a)I have many. I like other peoples art on my walls, I only hang my own to finish them.

q) If you could collaborate with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?

a)Gustav Klimt of M.C. Escher although i don't know if the masters would be enthused by the prospect.

q) Which emerging artist do you think more people should know about?

a)There are so many, I can't think of just one.

q) What has been your greatest achievement to date?

a)Graduation to professional artist.
It took 7 years of dedication and suddenly i didn't need to do other work to support my art habit, i feel very lucky that my hard work has payed off as I love painting.

q) What has been your biggest roadblock?

a)Money!!!! or lack there of.
It is hard to create quality work without money to buy materials and it also affords you the luxury of time to create them.

q) How do you define success?

a)I think you need to look backwards, every success is a small step so if you look at how far you have come as a whole it encourages you further.

q) What will be the name of your autobiography?

a)I haven't thought about anything like that!

q)What is the best piece of (art-related) advice you’ve ever been given?

a)Work smarter, not harder.

No comments: